"Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp

5 posters

Go down

"Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp Empty "Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-02, 18:57

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looking for ideas Smile

I will probably "cannibalize" the parts from a goodwill lamp, and then buy a 6500K bulb and a nice looking lampshade to start out with...
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

"Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp Empty Re: "Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-02, 23:58

Bwaaaahahahaha,... AQUARIUMIZE ALL THINGS!!! Smile
Shrimp! Shrimp! Shrimp! SHRIIIIIIIIIIMP!!!! Very Happy
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

"Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp Empty Re: "Aquariumizing" A large Ball mason jar into a lamp

Post  Guest 2013-04-03, 00:36

PokeSephiroth wrote:Bwaaaahahahaha,... AQUARIUMIZE ALL THINGS!!! Smile
Shrimp! Shrimp! Shrimp! SHRIIIIIIIIIIMP!!!! Very Happy

AQUARIUMIZE ALL THINGS!!! LoL poke!

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-03, 00:47

earthfish, hahaha... like my other hobby, I like to SPIN ALL THE THINGS!! Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-03, 01:23

Which plants hmmmm????
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-03, 01:27

Keep us updated on the build!

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-03, 01:30

I shall add shrimp once I get some plants going Smile
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-03, 01:31

Low light plants. Java moss, java fern, anach---y'know, that stuff.

mmm... maybe some water lettuce, although those aren't considered low light plants, but you never know Smile

Basically, any of these plants listed on this site:
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-03, 01:39

I aaaaaam waiting for that dwarf saggataria in the mail...hmmm...
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-03, 11:20

Why low light plants?? It's going to have a 6500K bulb right above the water... your biggest concern is going to be algae with that much light. Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-03, 21:24

pbmax-

What would you suggest for these "small" types of setups plant-wise?
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-03, 23:27

Well, anything that stays small - micro swords (brazilian and otherwise), marsilea minuta, dwarf hair grass, helanthium tenellum (especially since the jar is decently tall), etc. All of these would require a decent nutritive substrate - dirt of some kind like aquasoil, mineralized soil, etc. Capping it with sand should help minimize algae. You wouldn't have to fertilize a setup like this - at least not the water column and not for a long time. An inch of dirt on the bottom, 1.5" max, should do the job.

You could try stem plants, but you'd have to add ferts to the water column regularly and you'd have to trim them.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-04, 00:15

One thing that might be problematic in the future, is trimming the plants. Imagine trying to stick your hand in a really tall cylinder hahahaha... I would go with slow growing plants like.. uh.... maybe anubias? dwarf hairgrass! (dunno if that's slow growing though, but as long as it stays short..hehe)
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-04, 00:27

Trimming in a jar isn't tough with the right tools - long tweezers and scissors.

Something like this:

You'll need long tweezers to plant it regardless.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-04, 00:35

Or have a huge Marimo Ball in there!! then have an airstone, so that the marimo ball tumbles around... CUTE!!!!

Heck, if you can find smaller marimo balls, it could be like a little "planted lava lamp" OMG I WANT TO DO THIS NOW!!!
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-04, 07:42

I would like to do a micro planted tank and house those little Tiger shrimp. A micro DYI project would be awesome...

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-04, 10:06

And above all - keep a toothbrush handy for algae. It's nearly impossible to keep a tiny container balanced as far as plants and nutrients grow so you'll be regularly scrubbing algae from the glass.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-04, 15:19

I want something that gets somewhat tall so that it "fills up" the jar. I don't think that I want to mess around with dirt, so i will probably just use some kind of decent substrate like fluorite.
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-04, 15:37

If you go with fluorite you'll have to fertilize to produce decent growth - either root tabs or liquids.

Helanthium Tenellum (pygmy chain sword) can grow up to 5 or 6 inches high. Sagittaria Subulata will grow up to 16", less and slower w/o a nutritive substrate. Most vals get too long... you might try echinodorus angustifolia 'vesuvius' - these get up to 10" long.

If you're not scared of increased maintenance then filling up the jar with stem plants wouldn't be too hard. Dose it appropriately with flourish comprehensive and under good light they'll grow quite quickly. I'm not crazy about stem plants so I can't really recommend many. I've kept ludwigia repens narrow-leaf long term and I've kept elodea, cabomba, a rotala species, star grass, and pearl grass in the past. They all look nice at first, but then they get stringy after a while and you have to yank them, trim, and re-plant. I'm lazy so this isn't as appealing.

Crypts might work, but it'll take forever for them to fill the jar. Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-04, 15:40

You might just go with a java or christmas moss-covered rock or piece of drift wood. This should be easy enough to put together and as long as you give it some flourish comp. every once and a while and keep it trimmed it should do well.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-04-04, 16:51

I swear, if I didn't see "Flourish Comp" and read only "Flourish" I would've been like (no matt's trolling u now) XD

Speaking of which, does he know where or how he's going to house his lighting fixture on that jar? XD

Btw ebay has Nano Marimo balls! [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-04, 17:03

For reference:

I've used 6 Seachem Flourish line aquarium plant fertilizer products over the years - Comprehensive, Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, and Excel.

I'm not sure what you mean by trolling...

Here's a container I put together quite a while ago. It has marsilea minuta growing in amazonia 2 with a 6" shoplight over the top with a 9W 6500K CFL. I cleaned it out recently... it was quite awful thanks to many months of neglect. The container isn't particularly attractive, but I tend to go for function over form. Wink It's grown me a lot of marsilea minuta and that's what matters.

pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-09, 11:01

Lowes has these "lamp kit" type things that give you pretty much everything you need to make something into a lamp. The jar i have has a lid that I will attach the light fixture to. I just got a new 55 gallon, so this project has been put on the backburner haha
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  BillHN 2013-04-09, 11:04

pbmax wrote:For reference:

I've used 6 Seachem Flourish line aquarium plant fertilizer products over the years - Comprehensive, Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, and Excel.

I'm not sure what you mean by trolling...

Here's a container I put together quite a while ago. It has marsilea minuta growing in amazonia 2 with a 6" shoplight over the top with a 9W 6500K CFL. I cleaned it out recently... it was quite awful thanks to many months of neglect. The container isn't particularly attractive, but I tend to go for function over form. Wink It's grown me a lot of marsilea minuta and that's what matters.

Saw this, it looked awesome when u look at it closely.

And by trolling" Idk anymore, I was having a brainfart when I said that sooo xD
BillHN
BillHN
Lifetime Member

https://www.facebook.com/billhn

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-09, 11:16

I dont think you guys realize how huge this jar is. Its one of those "decorative" type ones.So I dont think that trimming would be a problem. I just want it to be thick and tall in the center, but enough room around for shrimps Smile

jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-09, 11:33

My mind is still in the gutter. I CANNOT UNSEE IT!!! Hahahahahaha
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-09, 11:35

jrmakawoody wrote:Lowes has these "lamp kit" type things that give you pretty much everything you need to make something into a lamp. The jar i have has a lid that I will attach the light fixture to. I just got a new 55 gallon, so this project has been put on the backburner haha

A transparent lid, I hope? Very Happy If it's one of those jars with the punch out in the middle you could always cut a piece of acrylic (or even glass) to stick under the lid.

jrmakawoody wrote:I dont think you guys realize how huge this jar is. Its one of those "decorative" type ones.So I dont think that trimming would be a problem. I just want it to be thick and tall in the center, but enough room around for shrimps Smile

Yup, it's about the same size my vase, only a smaller diameter. I wouldn't want to try trimming in that without long tweezers and scissors, but to each their own. Smile
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-09, 11:52

PokeSephiroth wrote:My mind is still in the gutter. I CANNOT UNSEE IT!!! Hahahahahaha

that image will be engrained in your brain for as long as you live!

The lid is not transparent, I will most likely cut out the center and replace it with a "window"
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-09, 11:53

pbmax wrote:Yup, it's about the same size my vase, only a smaller diameter. I wouldn't want to try trimming in that without long tweezers and scissors, but to each their own. Smile

I like to live on the edge
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-09, 11:55

If you look closely at my vase photo you can see how abysmally awful I am at cutting plexiglass or lexan or whatever that was into a round shape. Embarassed Glass would likely be much easier with a round cutter.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-09, 11:57

jrmakawoody wrote:
I like to live on the edge

cheers

My long scissors and tweezers have come in really handy for all kinds of trimming / planting... no rust yet either. Just sayin' cyclops
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-09, 11:58

I need to get some anyways, so if i have them, I will use them haha.
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-09, 16:00

this is what I had in mind:
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-09, 17:08

If one was to modify a chunk of wood for this Ball jar couldn't they attach it to the lid? IDK, just something that popped in my head. This way you wouldn't have to shift everything around to clean the glass, you would just pull anything blocking out...

My imagination is getting the better of me. I can see myself dremeling a chunk of bog wood to nicely fit into the jar. At some point the wood would be thick enough to hollow out and except a modified sponge filter about 3" in diameter. Then one could demel slits into the side allowing water flow through the wood , sponge- with an air hose attached and walla- micro sponge filter for a micro tank. Is something like this doable, or is it even needed?

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-09, 17:11

one could do such things if one didnt leave his dremel at his parents house in indiana
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-09, 17:31

Yikes - too much work. Smile Where would you hide the air pump? What would you say when people ask why the lamp is buzzing? Very Happy
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jrmakawoody 2013-04-09, 17:41

I suppose you could hide the air pump up in the lampshade...you could just tell them that its the "old style" incandescent light bulb that has a slight hum haha
jrmakawoody
jrmakawoody
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-09, 18:10

Would you just not filter the system?

It does sound like a lot of work but this is stuff I do from time to time. Think if weird stuff and then try it..

Last edited by theChad on 2013-04-09, 18:12; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-09, 18:11

Bingo.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-09, 18:11

Well, if it's only going to house shrimp, I don't see the need for a filter... >_>;; or......?
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-09, 18:13

Shrimp live fine without a filter as long as your container isn't teeming with them. Photosynthesizing plants help, of course.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-09, 18:16

Oh....

I sometimes play with the idea of getting into the shrimp hobby. I really like little tiger shrimp. I scared to pay $15-20 per, then make a mistake. If I knew I could put something like this together and successfully house little shrimp I think I would...

How would you properly care for such a small ecosystem without a filter?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-09, 18:16

pbmax wrote:Shrimp live fine without a filter as long as your container isn't teeming with them. Photosynthesizing plants help, of course.

Oh....?

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-09, 18:20

Regular water changes, keep the glass clean with a tooth brush, minimal feeding. Shrimp live off of biofilm so constant feeding isn't necessary.

My unheated, unfiltered walstad 2.5g goes a month or more between changes and it has RCS breeding in it.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-09, 18:42

pbmax wrote:Regular water changes, keep the glass clean with a tooth brush, minimal feeding. Shrimp live off of biofilm so constant feeding isn't necessary.

My unheated, unfiltered walstad 2.5g goes a month or more between changes and it has RCS breeding in it.

Oh...

Think I'll do some more reading on the Walstad method. Perhaps give it a shot...

Back to top Go down

Post  pbmax 2013-04-09, 18:46

Doesn't need to be a walstad. I kept shrimp for many months in a tiny glass container much smaller than my 2.5g (see avatar photo taken of said container) with tahitian moon sand and dwarf hair grass (and a rock). In the end I got tired of cleaning the algae Wink So I pulled the shrimp out and mothballed it.
pbmax
pbmax
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2013-04-09, 19:03

PokeSephiroth wrote:earthfish, hahaha... like my other hobby, I like to SPIN ALL THE THINGS!! Very Happy

Do you really spin fire or are you a jokester?

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-09, 19:07

earthfish: I do indeed spin fire. Check my youtube out for proofsies. Very Happy

Other than spinning fire, I spin LED lights too (more for practice, when I'm NOT spinning fire).
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfalcons 2013-04-09, 19:10

A moneywort would look awesome in that jar.

Flyfalcons
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth 2013-04-09, 19:14

Or cabomba Very Happy . . . Red Cabomba. Ahem.
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down