My 125G Lion's Cove Tank

+2
JimA
cichlid-gal
6 posters

Go down

My 125G Lion's Cove Tank Empty My 125G Lion's Cove Tank

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-04, 00:45

New digs for my WC Metriaclima sp "zebra gold" Lion's Cove and Pseudotropheous sp. "polit" Lion's Cove boys and girls. Husband finally got the stand to a usable point so we went ahead and set up the tank. It still needs doors and I'm going to have to do something about lighting as our old light would not work with the glass on the 125G tank so we had to punt temporarily. Fish are loving the new setup and so are we as this is our 1st "BIG" tank in the house. Enjoy!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

My 125G Lion's Cove Tank Empty Re: My 125G Lion's Cove Tank

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-04, 01:31

new video .. had a problem with the other one

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JimA 2013-03-04, 07:07

Very nice! What brand LED light is that?

JimA
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-04, 09:13

Thanks Jim Smile

Those are Marineland Double Bright LED's 2x 24"...almost a year old now and going strong. They were on one of my 75G setup's but due to the non-fit of the quad T5 I had to switch lights on the tanks.

One of the things I like about these lights is there is a snap plug about half way up the cord so you don't have to unplug the light to take if off if you need too...you just unsnap the connection and remove the light. Makes maintenance easier.

I'm looking at options now...its just hard to decide. I like the idea of leaving some lower light areas at the outside edges of the tank so I think I'm going to go for a 48" light instead of a 72" light (that helps with cost too Smile ) and I love the LED's. But I'm not sure they get as much light to the bottom of the tank as the T5's. If I go LED I'm debating between the Marineland, Beamswork and Aqueon Modular.

But before I totally decide on the LED's I'm going to throw my Quad T5 on just for review...I think the light might reach the depths of the tank better than the LED's. Before I decide I want to make sure I'm getting the light that will work the best for the depth of the tank and will grow some algae. Maybe I can make some feet for the Quad or modify them in some way if I like it as the Quad is a 48" long light and is super bright.

Another option is to have the local glass company cut my front glass panel (it is 2 panels on each side, not hinged, just big plates of glass)...so if they cut the front glass panel in half I'd have 3 panels of glass on each side but I could simply remove the smaller front panel for feeding...cleaning would still be an issue...ack...thinking thinking
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-03-04, 11:27

Nice looking tank. I've always loved polits, but have never kept them.

Keep us updated on the lighting. I have the worst luck with lights and am always having to replace bulbs, move fixtures around, etc. I've got some of the Marineland leds, but I'm not sure they are the best for bringing out the colors of the fish. I like my T5s, but they are always burning out on me. There are just so many options, I don't know what to do!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-04, 17:42

Thanks Betty...always a work in progress my tanks are. Wink I'll post up a better lit photo once the doors are on and a good working light is on the tank...hoping those two things won't be toooo long
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2013-03-05, 13:32

Great looking tank. Nice balance of rocks and plants. I was thinking about changing my black substrate to something like this due to a black background.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-05, 15:00

Thanks Paintguy!

It's just pool filter sand and a painted black background...I like the weight of the PFS. Once it's cleaned and rinsed well, the sand that goes into the tank stays put for the most part and you don't get a lot of sand in your filters unless the fish stir things up right in front of them. In my other 125G my Vic's built a bower in front of my FX5 intake with the edge (pile) right below the intake...lots of sand got sucked up to say the least. I've learned now where to place my rocks... bounce

Rocks are basalt and seiryu. There is more basalt around here than weeds. The seiryu I ordered in bulk so I have one more box left. I like the look of them and would love to have decorated the whole tank in them but it would be cost prohibitive. They are a little sharp too so I took the dremel to them to dull the edges. As for the texture I would imagine they are much like lacerock. I wasn't sure if they would affect the PH or hardness in any way as I believe they are limestone based so I've been checking those parameters but so far no change. I probably don't have enough of it in the tank to make a difference.

My plants...I've had the driftwood and anubias growing for about a month and a half in the 55G that was holding the polits. The other plants were all spread out in my 75G that housed the zebras previously. Bringing everything and everyone together again is fun and rewarding cheers
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-03-05, 20:23

where do you get your pool filter sand? all ive ever managed to find is recycled glass (literally old busted up bottles)

on a side note: i finally got in touch with my buddy for the left over lace rock. if your still interested send me a PM. ill have pics tomorrow night after i get done working out there.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-03-05, 21:32

Anthraxx, I got mine at McClendon's. It's been a couple of years, but it was $10 for a 50 lb. bag. I love the stuff!
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-05, 22:18

Anthraxx wrote:where do you get your pool filter sand? all ive ever managed to find is recycled glass (literally old busted up bottles)

on a side note: i finally got in touch with my buddy for the left over lace rock. if your still interested send me a PM. ill have pics tomorrow night after i get done working out there.

Anthraxx...most pool and spa suppliers carry PFS. I got mine from one we have in town for $11 for a 50lb bag. Just take the time to rinse out the real small stuff...when your sand just falls back to the bottom of the bucket you are rinsing in then you are done and all the little junk is out.

and sending PM re rocks Smile
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthraxx 2013-03-05, 22:23

yeah thats where i went. all anybody has here is the crunched up recycled glass. its horrible and i would never consider using it.
Anthraxx
Anthraxx
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty 2013-03-05, 22:53

Have you tried Aqua Quip? I used to get it there. It was just silica sand, but a nice weight like cichlid-gal described. The brand is Target. I hope they haven't changed it.
Betty
Betty
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-05, 23:14

I've also heard that Home Depot carries some PFS. I haven't checked ours but think that maybe that might be an option also.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 2013-03-06, 19:15

Wow Donna - great setup - looks awesome and you did an amazing job on the video too. You truly LOVE your fish and that's great to see.

Jay (and Carol)
Jay
Jay
FishBox Member

https://www.facebook.com/GeilerAquatics

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-06, 21:01

Thanks Jay and I can't wait to bring home some of your Psamms and start my next Vic endeavor. Although the zebra golds aren't endangered or at risk they are still an uncommon fish so I'm hoping you enjoy some of the babies from these guys as much as I have enjoyed the parents. The zebras certainly are one of my favorite fish and they are loving their new home.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 2013-03-14, 17:21

Thanks again for the Zebra Gold's. They've adjusted just fine and started eating the very next day. I hope the Psamms are doing well for you too. Be sure to keep me posted.

If anyone else is interested in some Psammochromis riponianus, I'd be happy to do a trade for something of comparable value. I also have plenty to sell. We have to keep the species going...

Jay
Jay
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal 2013-03-14, 17:35

The Psamms are doing wonderful and today I thought I even saw some color in one of them...not sure but it was exciting anyway. Beautiful fish Jay.

And I'm glad you are enjoying the zebra golds. Their colors and markings are coming on nicely now.

It is exciting to be raising up yours too. Thanks again and once I get them settled into their new tank I'm sure the video bug will hit me Smile
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay 2013-03-14, 18:05

That would be nice to see a video. Cool........
Jay
Jay
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down