+3
C.Pigeon
aquaman95
Ratlova30
7 posters

Go down

Blue convict epidemic Empty Blue convict epidemic

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-13, 22:26

This is a hybrid I'm really starting to hate. For those of you who don't know what they are, they're a convict x Honduran Red Point cross. Hybrids aren't my thing to begin with but with blue convicts being thrown into the mix it can be especially hard to know if what you're buying is a pure strain HRP, especially when their young. I can just see this new hybrid trend screwing everything up. I've seen some people say "Blue convict" is just a nickname for the HRP, which is not the case.

I'm lucky enough to be getting pure strain HRP's from someone off here but when I was looking on aquabid because I want to add genes to the group I'll be getting I can't help but to wonder if I'll actually be buying HRP juvis or if I'll end up getting a hybrid. My goal is to successfully breed HRP's for the public. If they're more readily available maybe the growing blue convict trend will die down.

These guys turn the most beautiful icy blue when breeding and they are so much more docile then convicts. The blue convict hybrid only has a small tinge of blue and are as almost all the time turn out to have the nasty temperament of the convict.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Blue convict epidemic Empty Re: Blue convict epidemic

Post  aquaman95 2012-04-13, 22:44

this pic is used on many ads so you never know if they are lying.you are right honduran's are beautiful but with all these people trying to get rich quick its almost impossible to find them if you did breed nice ones for the public that would be awsome alot of people would love to have them. I agree
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-13, 23:00

Was just using the pic to show people what they were. The person I'm getting them, when I saw her tank when I walked in the door it took my breath away. The fish were just so beautiful. I had come to look at the Jewel cichlids and realized I had to set up a tank for these guys. And I had a tank until it sprung a leak... I'm excited though, I'm excited to try my hand at breeding Jewel cichlids too. Or if they'll just turn fire red for me on occasion I'll settle for that. lol!
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  C.Pigeon 2012-04-14, 12:57

I also bin looking for some pure HRP's for a while..
C.Pigeon
C.Pigeon
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-04-14, 15:13

I cracked up how you called this a "Epidemic" lmao! I used to have HRP's... actually just a pair, they were really similar to convicts in every way..... I am really surprised they are harder to find cause how easily they breed....

You still only have just one jewel cichlid?? Why dont you get a couple more.... they will kick up that red allot quicker when they are trying to show dominence, and pair of course.... I saw a bunch at petsmart... I honestly dont know why people hate petsmart so much, they are really clean, and I have never had a problem. Petco on the otherhand I have always had a few issues with them.... let me know if you want me to grab a couple for you
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ratlova30 2012-04-14, 20:00

I had gotten one at petsmart one time and when I got in the car I noticed worms coming out of it's vent so I took it back. I like petsmart, every petsmart is different, but the ones near me have been carrying diseased stock lately.

I'm getting a couple Jewel cichlids tomorrow from kiana. I think HRP's and convicts look very similar except when they've got their breeding colors, the HRP's turn the most gorgeous blue. That why I'm frustrated people are breeding them with cons, they're hard to tell apart to begin with and determining if it's a hybrid or not is even harder. The last thing I want is to be breeding/selling what I think is pure strain HRP's when in actuality the offspring have a 1/4 or an 1/8 con in them
Ratlova30
Ratlova30
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaosu 2012-04-14, 21:42

I know what you mean about the hybrids... I believe my male "con" is part hrp..being that he has bright red fins and is extremely docile to the point that my female beats him up..never enough to damage his fins but bites up his lips and sides.
Kaosu
Kaosu
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Paintguy 2012-04-15, 00:41

I had some great looking HRP's in the past. I agree they have much less attitude vs. a convict.
Paintguy
Paintguy
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addicted2CAs 2012-04-16, 17:20

Amen brother down with the hybrids lol! Excellent thread. This would clearly explain the unusually colorful fins on my feeder convict pair. I would certainly take some off your hands if you mange to breed some pure HRP's. Best of luck finding some naturals!
Addicted2CAs
Addicted2CAs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down