help me setup a fowlr tank

3 posters

Go down

help me setup a fowlr tank Empty help me setup a fowlr tank

Post  aquaman95 2012-02-02, 11:45

Im well aware of the dedication it takes .I know its between 30_35 gallons and that I need hob filter,protien skimmer,heater,salinity measureer what I need to know is how big should my skimmer be and is rodi distilled water,alsso if salt builds up can I mix it with water and use to fill
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

help me setup a fowlr tank Empty Re: help me setup a fowlr tank

Post  lilfishie 2012-02-05, 02:06

Hi aquaman95. Welcome to wafb. Just like your filter, your skimmer should be rated for much bigger than the tank. The skimmer on my 90 is rated for 120. Distilled water is not the same as RO/DI water. It is not always 0 TDS. The tank will tend to grow bad algaes if there is any TDS present. It can grow bad algaes for other reasons too, but if you start with pure water, you eliminate one reason.
Readding the salt from salt creep will not replenish the water with the needed nutrient found in the fresh salt mix. You dont want to add it to your top off water anyway, cause it would cause your salinity to rise.

Would love to see pics of what you have for your set up so far.
I will try to help where I can.
Have you decided on a fish only with live rock or are you thinking about keeping coral?
lilfishie
lilfishie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-03-06, 01:17

This is my advice to you GET A BIGGER TANK. I had a 29g biocube that crashed then I moved to a 220 and NO problems. I would aim for a 40B at the least idealy a 55g. Just speaking from experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2012-03-23, 03:44

I agree with Naso, get a bigger tank, there is a larger margin for error. RO water isn't necessary unless you go reef. Skimming is a must, skimp on the lighting before you skimp on your skimmer!!! I try to find a way to mix up the same amount of salt water every time, that way I can get the levels right the first time and it just makes the process that much smoother. I think a major mistake most marine newbies make is not fully researching the animals they purchase. You just see fish that don't belong together or that will quickly out grow a 20-40 gallon nano tank. So just do a lot of reading and don't rush anything, thats the best advice I can give you when it comes to marine tanks. Been at it for over 10 years and had nothing but a blast! Let me know if you have any more specific questions. Also get a refractometer off ebay for less than 30 bucks, the hyrdometer that most people get to start off are worthless.

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2012-03-23, 07:07

aquaman, follow whatever lilfishie says-she is a genious, ive seen allot of her setups, (pictures) but they all looked super healthy and well taken care of... I also read her posts and she is always right on everything she comments! If I ever decide to take a turn to salt side of the hobby, I will go directly to her first! Smile
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  aquaman95 2012-03-23, 08:34

Thank you all input is nessecary I've been planning on two more fishtanks and another snake.because I've been scared to start but I'm shure I'm gonna do atleast 55 fowlr..this year if luck allows it
aquaman95
aquaman95
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down