MOSS BALLS AND THE PLECOS WHO LOVE THEM

+3
sandnuka
Addictedtofish
Salzabar
7 posters

Go down

MOSS BALLS AND THE PLECOS WHO LOVE THEM Empty MOSS BALLS AND THE PLECOS WHO LOVE THEM

Post  Salzabar 2010-09-29, 23:05

I would like to have a moss ball in my tank just for the heck of it but I have a BN pleco. Does anyone have experience with plecos grazing on moss balls?
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

MOSS BALLS AND THE PLECOS WHO LOVE THEM Empty Re: MOSS BALLS AND THE PLECOS WHO LOVE THEM

Post  Salzabar 2010-09-30, 02:15

Rolling Eyes
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

MOSS BALLS AND THE PLECOS WHO LOVE THEM Empty Re: MOSS BALLS AND THE PLECOS WHO LOVE THEM

Post  Addictedtofish 2010-09-30, 03:14

I have moss balls in almost all my tanks and it seems the ones with pleco's in it I dont see them messing with them. My other fish will graze on it from time to time but no damage is done to the ball.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-10-01, 05:21

I had moss balls in my tank, 3 BN plecos... they never touched them..... Good luck, bobbys water world has moss balls at an excellent price!
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolf-Keeper1 2010-10-01, 12:29

What are moss balls for? What do they do to te tank.
Wolf-Keeper1
Wolf-Keeper1
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Addictedtofish 2010-10-01, 14:09

There a round ball of moss that grow in the wild that way, the way they propagate is sending out runners and making new balls. Embarassed There just another type of plants for your tank but the benefit of these is they use the nitrates in the water for food, you dont have to plant them in the ground like most plants, they just sink to the bottom instead of float at the top like other plants that use the nitrates out of the water instead of the nitrates that are in your substrate to grow.
Addictedtofish
Addictedtofish
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  stierwalt3 2010-10-01, 14:45

Yeah and Bobby has real moss balls...their a solid ball! Unlike some pets store that sell moss balls with a styrofoam middle! Bobby usually sells them for $3 a piece...i just picked up a few from him for a $1.50 piece! My saulosi love them!
stierwalt3
stierwalt3
Contributing Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lars on 2010-10-01, 22:49

BN plecos dont eat plants, they just clean them. You wont have a problem with them eating them
lars on
lars on
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Spyral 2010-10-02, 01:27

Mossy balls? Take more showers..lol
Spyral
Spyral
Contributing Member

http://www.dinkypage.com/54184

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2010-10-02, 01:36

lars on wrote:BN plecos dont eat plants, they just clean them. You wont have a problem with them eating them

Sorry Lars but my BN plecos love my hygros and amazons so "some" BN plecos will eat plants.

And as Addictedtofish stated, They eat the free roaming nitrates, nitrites(which you shouldn't have) and any ammonia you get with the lights on. This is cool cause they outcompete the algae for the free roaming nutrients making it very hard for any algae to establish itself in your tank. With the lights off it will act like any other plant and shut down till the lights come back on. For a guy like me who leaves the lights on for 18 to 20 hours a day this is a godsend. Now I can power feed my fish and not worry about 3 water changes a week. Win win. Spot On
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  sandnuka 2010-10-02, 01:38

my BN's dont touch my plants.... except the alge on them.... So I am assuming moss balls are not gonna work cause your BN has a weird obssession with eatin plants?
sandnuka
sandnuka
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Salzabar 2010-10-02, 02:06

I think your right Sandnuka but I will try one just to see what happends. I want to buy one from Bobby since his appears to be the cheapest in town.
Salzabar
Salzabar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down