Go down

A Place for Pets- Burien - Page 2 Empty A Place for Pets - Burien

Post  Guest on 2013-03-22, 10:08

Overall Experience 3
Cost 2
Quality of Fish 3
Variety 4
Service 2

I met a fellow member of the forum at this store last weekend and wasn't all that impressed. I waited in the African Cichlid aisle for her for several minutes looking at the fish. I saw one fish either sick or dead laying in the back of one of the tanks and the prices (imo) were far too high. Tangerine Tigers were $13 or $14 each and I just bought some for $6 each from a Portland store. The lady I met showed up and was immediately asked if she needed anything by one of the employees who walked past me to ask her, yet me being there far longer, I was never asked if I needed help. Not so good for customer service. Variety was pretty good. I definitely would never go out of my way to visit again.

Back to top Go down

A Place for Pets- Burien - Page 2 Empty Re: A Place for Pets- Burien

Post  Guest on 2013-03-22, 10:19

Overall Experience 3
Cost 2
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 3
Service2

Yes I agree with you ceejai.
I bought one fish from there last friday and it died yesterday very dissapointed in the price and quality trust me I will not be returning.

Back to top Go down

Post  Flyfalcons on 2013-03-23, 22:01

Overall Experience 4
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 2
Variety 5
Service 5

I was in the area a few days ago and stopped by to get some ideas for a 55 project I'm working on. Kevin was a little busy assisting customers and working on the tanks but he took the time to answer my questions. Great selection of fish and accessories, but I saw a dead cleaner wrasse and I'm pretty sure a decent sized catfish died while I was there as well. I'll probably be back, at the very least to have another look through their really good selection of driftwood.

Flyfalcons
FishBox Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Will I am on 2013-04-24, 17:23

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Went there last week. Tanks looked good. Ended up buying a few fish and supplies. Kevin hooked me up with a AWESOME deal as usual! My Favorite fish store!
Will I am
Will I am

Back to top Go down

Post  anthony on 2013-05-15, 12:03

This is my favorite fish store in the area for fish. I have been going here for almost 4 years and over that amount of time I have seen almost every African, or American cichlid I have seen in a book at this place. I like to go when the store first opens and is not to crowded . Kevin is there and is always helpful. If you go during the weekend expect swarms of people, and very busy store, and some of the staff might be high schoolers that will have to go ask or find Kevin if you have a difficult question They have a 7 day return policy. I have purchased over 150 fish from this place and only used the return policy 2 or 3 times and never received any grief about it. I have purchased dovi for $1.50 here before. Over all for freshwater selection cichlids,plecos,odd balls. this is where I like spending my money. plus they have tanks, supplies, hoses, replacement lights, hoods, etc.

overall experience 5
cost 5
Quality of fish 4
variety 5
service 3

anthony
anthony
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nick_76 on 2013-05-15, 16:17

a nice petstore woth the drive. got a couple discus (got a great deal during their anniversary sale)and some smaller cichlids here. staff friendly but give you your space. really neat display tanks set up upstairs!

overall experience 4
cost 5
Quality of fish 4
variety 4
service 4.5
nick_76
nick_76

Back to top Go down

Post  Madness on 2013-09-23, 14:10

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service 4

After all the down talk about the new/old ownership taking over, and seeing the fish section take a huge hit. I stopped in there on my way home on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised. The tanks were very clean, a couple of the tanks were the clearest I have ever seen a tank in that store. They did not get rid of the Cichlids, they still carry a very nice assortment of them. Shannon is now in charge of the fish, and from what I saw she is doing a wonderful job.

Looks like APFP will be on my fav store list again.

Over 4000 gallons and over 50 species
Madness
Madness

Back to top Go down

Post  cichlid-gal on 2013-11-15, 21:56

Overall Experience 4
Cost 4
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 5
Service n/a

We stopped by A Place for Pets on Tuesday when we traveled to Seattle for the GSAS meeting. They have a large selection of fish items...dry goods and live fish. We took time to go upstairs and look over the fish tank selections. The prices up there were awesome. There was a rimless 2x2x2 tank priced at just over a $100. I had to hold my pocketbook to not purchase it but the reality was I don't have a place for it. It's a beautiful tank looking for a great home and priced to sell. We also looked at a bag of Eco-complete. Much more costly than I could get it for online so we passed on that. Rows and rows of fish though. The tanks were being cleaned but all fish looked healthy and happy. We will visit this store again if we are in the area and would recommend it to others.
cichlid-gal
cichlid-gal
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman on 2014-01-21, 14:49

Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 2

My wife and I came in to look at setting up a small tank and had a great experience, at first. The staff was really helpful and very nice, and suggested a 3.5 gallon to start, with about 5 Glofish in it. Knowing what I know now, I never would have attempted to start with such a small tank, we had several ammonia spikes and even with consistent water changes and prime were just unable to get it going. I think that the people helping us didn't really have enough knowledge to suggest a setup, everywhere i've gone since recommends a 10 gallon tank to start or larger because of course the larger the tank, the easier it is to get an ecosystem going. They didn't tell us to run the tank 24 hours before adding fish etc, and it had been so long since I kept fish that I trusted their information rather than going on what I had always done in the past. While the fish world has changed a lot it's still very much the same, it's easier to keep fish now than it was in the past (in my opinion..) but you can't expect to setup a 3.5 gallon tank and have it run great and put fish in it right away. We've since bought a 60 gallon and the 3.5 gallon houses a very happy Betta, a few Norman Lampeye's and a Pigmy Cory. I live right near here but I will make the drive to Tropical Fish World in Sumner, or The Aquarium Coop up north, i'd much rather have healthy happy fish and better advice.

It's my opinion they didn't think we would buy a large tank right away so they downplayed the task of setting up a small tank.
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  poffman on 2014-01-22, 12:34

poffman wrote:Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish 4
Variety 4
Service 2

My wife and I came in to look at setting up a small tank and had a great experience, at first. The staff was really helpful and very nice, and suggested a 3.5 gallon to start, with about 5 Glofish in it. Knowing what I know now, I never would have attempted to start with such a small tank, we had several ammonia spikes and even with consistent water changes and prime were just unable to get it going. I think that the people helping us didn't really have enough knowledge to suggest a setup, everywhere i've gone since recommends a 10 gallon tank to start or larger because of course the larger the tank, the easier it is to get an ecosystem going. They didn't tell us to run the tank 24 hours before adding fish etc, and it had been so long since I kept fish that I trusted their information rather than going on what I had always done in the past. While the fish world has changed a lot it's still very much the same, it's easier to keep fish now than it was in the past (in my opinion..) but you can't expect to setup a 3.5 gallon tank and have it run great and put fish in it right away. We've since bought a 60 gallon and the 3.5 gallon houses a very happy Betta, a few Norman Lampeye's and a Pigmy Cory. I live right near here but I will make the drive to Tropical Fish World in Sumner, or The Aquarium Coop up north, i'd much rather have healthy happy fish and better advice.

It's my opinion they didn't think we would buy a large tank right away so they downplayed the task of setting up a small tank.

I wanted to follow this up, I went in yesterday to buy filters and ended up leaving with some snails. Everyone was nice, I think the staff here is just hit or miss.
poffman
poffman
FishBox Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-02-17, 23:48

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Went there last Saturday. Tanks looked good. Ended up buying a few fish. The cichlid person was out that day but other employees were trying their best to help me acquire best cichlid with my new set up of American cichlid tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  anchlo_808 on 2014-04-09, 03:53

Overall Experience 4

Cost 4

Quality of Fish 3.5

Variety 4

Service 3.5

Walked in and was immediately greater by a younger female employee, which was nice. First impression was that it needed a face-lift. Looked a little old and a bit dirty/dusty in some areas. Went to the back of the store, upstairs to the tank room. Was a little crowded with tanks, but did it's job. The plant section (I'm highly critical about a stores presentation of plants) was in dire need of care and upkeep! The "display" tank was Eh.... And looked neglected.... Tons of algae. They had small plastic containers which held ricia and glosso but both containers were completely dry and the plants were dead and dried up! Plant variety was poor. The rest of the fish tanks were in need of cleaning, but not too bad. Prices were clearly marked, we're not outrageous, but not the cheapest either.

I suggest a good cleaning and fresh paint throughout the store. Same goes for the tanks.

anchlo_808
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-04-09, 17:21

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

Went there today. Some tanks looked good and some tanks looked so so. The cichlid person was out that day but other employees were trying their best to help identify the cichlids. They have alot of cichlids from Africans to Americans. They have more less common cichlid selection than other lfs near seattle area.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gryphon on 2014-04-21, 02:35

Overall Experience 3
Cost 3
Quality of Fish (FW - 4, SW - 2)
Variety 3
Service 2

My wife and I stopped in Sunday to see what they had in stock in the SW section. I was quite saddened by the conditions of their SW tanks, almost all of them were over run with Aiptasia and Majanos. Prices were a bit high on the few corals they had, some quite plain and common ones were over priced in my opinion. I also saw a few fish in very bad shape (One of the mandarin Dragonets for one). All of the freshwater tanks looked nice and clean, but the SW tanks were just nasty with algae. Was basically ignored by the staff until I came up to the counter to pay for my purchases.
Gryphon
Gryphon
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sleeves on 2014-09-02, 16:17

Overall Experience 5
Cost 5
Quality of Fish 5
Variety 5
Service 5

I drove from Poulsbo to Burien Yesterday just to visit this store and I was stoked!
It was well worth the drive. The selection of both old and new world cichlids was awesome.

The amount of different African cichlid species was awesome, I was greatly impressed.

The service from the staff was great too.

Grabbed a bunch of fish before I raced to the ferry (which I missed).

Thank you Cory for recommending this place!

I wish we had a LFS like this on our side.
It reminded me of the LFS places of the 80s and 90s back home before the chain places came in and ran them out.
Sleeves
Sleeves
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum