Plant collecting Adventure

Go down

Plant collecting Adventure

Post  Nick_87 on 2014-07-27, 01:36

Today I was swimming in my favorite local lake when I happened upon a very large patch of wild jungle val growing. It looks exactly identical to what I have in my tank right now am thinking of bring a bit of it home to add some more to my tank. Anything I Should be worried about besides pests and are these the Jungle Val Americana that I think they are? I also found some nice small lilly plants and some other interesting little onion type plants too. Any body want some vals, it looks like I will have a bunch soon.

Last edited by Nick_87 on 2014-07-27, 03:44; edited 1 time in total
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Re: Plant collecting Adventure

Post  LuminousAphid on 2014-07-27, 02:50

I would just look into the legality of collecting live specimens, I have heard here on the forum that doing it with animals--fish--is illegal in WA, but I don't know about plants. Lots of laws like that are around to keep people spreading plants as invasive species, but are annoying to responsible people who would collect responsibly. Lord knows it WILL turn out to be a no-no and there WILL be a dept of fish and wildlife officer there, if you don't look it up.  Razz 

Good luck though, it might well be a different species but may be indistinguishable to us plebs
LuminousAphid
Lifetime Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ckEZaAig5YXpVLIvU1qjg

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 on 2014-07-27, 03:03

I'll check out the regs but looks like im going plant collecting.
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick_87 on 2014-07-27, 03:41

Found this on wdfw.wa.gov

"Removal of native vegetation may be allowed in small amounts, but is generally discouraged."

Looks like its legal as long as you don't take too much. I mean how much could you fit in a fish tank anyways? :whistle 

I'm going to go for it and let you all know what I find! Pictures to come on my new adventure!
Nick_87

Back to top Go down

Post  hobbyorobsession on 2014-07-27, 10:17

I'll be concerned about taking something you can't identify 100%. plants are just as protected as animals and fish. You really don't want to be taking the plant out of its environment only to find its controlled federally or a native plant that is in decline. And get charged for habitat destruction.
hobbyorobsession
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  swamp-rat on 2014-07-28, 03:19

Val is not native to WA. It was likely a release from someone's aquarium...so I'd encourage it's removal!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
swamp-rat
FishBox Regular

http://www.etsy.com/shop/FuzzbunYarn?ref=pr_shop

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum