South American Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi)

Go down

South American Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi) Empty South American Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi)

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-25, 17:16

So... I couldn't help but buy two of these little critters. They look so cute! I did some research and read that they're pretty docile fish, but can eat smaller fish that can fit in its mouth (well, duh.) With that being said... I'm going to go ahead and place them in my 55 gallon tank with my neon tetras, and if they ever thin out my neon tetra crowd, then fine. More power to them Very Happy Growing only to about 3-4" in length, I'm not too worried about them eating my neon tetra population. Har har har har!!

I will try to post pictures later, once they're finished acclimating in the bucket.

-=Little Side Note=-
Don't be confused with another catfish that goes by the same common name (Pseudomystus siamensis aka Siamese Bumblebee Catfish, or Asian Bumblebee Catfish) which grow twice the size of their South American counterparts! The Asian variation is also much more aggressive than their South American cousins.

I'm on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<--- Click! Watch! Add! Subscribe! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

https://www.facebook.com/kitsapflowarts

Back to top Go down

South American Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi) Empty Re: South American Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi)

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-25, 17:35

I have two of these, they are the laziest and fattest fish I have ever seen. They never are out from their caves. Cute but kind of useless in a tank IMO. I have to use a flashlight to see one and the other I have to stick my head between the wall and tank to be able to ever see it. Smh.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

South American Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi) Empty Re: South American Bumblebee Catfish (Microglanis iheringi)

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-25, 17:37

FATTEST?!?!?! Perfect! I can't wait to fatten them up! BAAAHAHAHA Very Happy Then again, these two are already kinda pudgy. Bwehehehe, I'm excited!

How long have you had yours for and what sizes are they, and what tank are they in?

I'm on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<--- Click! Watch! Add! Subscribe! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-25, 17:54

I have had mine for 2 years. One is about 3.5" and the other about 3". Mine look like they have swallowed a marble, all the time lol. I thought maybe they had a disease or something so I looked up pictures and a lot of them looked as fat as mine.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-25, 18:11

Hahahaha, that's great! I can't wait to see them get that big! Wink

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-06-25, 18:12

Totally dig this cat. Nocturnal and shy in my 140. But totally serves an important function. This cat never leaves the tanks floor so I think your tetras should be fine unless they hover just above the substrate.  Mine hugs the plant line during feeding time. He loops around the plants lookin for scraps. I play "where's Waldo" with this elusive fish.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Don't forget to share pictures Poke.  Smile
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-06-25, 18:21

I wish mine would come out once in a while. But yes mine stay on the substrate. I wouldn't be concerned with it eating live fish.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-25, 18:27

EEEEEEE!!!!!! He's so cute!!!! Very Happy~~

I'm so glad I got two of these little dudes! (Or dudettes...)

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-06-25, 20:15

ShortyKiloGyrl wrote:I wish mine would come out once in a while. But yes mine stay on the substrate. I wouldn't be concerned with it eating live fish.

This one is definitely one of those fish that I am happy WHEN I see it. I figure if it wants to eat then its gotta come out. There are so many bottom feeders in this tank that there is no scraps left over when the lights go out. So it's gotta come out to get some food.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-25, 20:39

I do have Khuli Loaches and Reticulated Hillstream Loaches... I'm not too worried about the Hillstream Loaches... The Khulis... Meh.

There are also Amano Shrimp, but I could care less if they ate those. =P

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-06-25, 21:02

Well......... I turned em loose, and POOF, they vanished. I didn't even get a chance to take a picture of them! I even had my phone ready in my hand to take photos. But NOPE. =P Maybe in the off chance that I see them in the future, I'll be able to take photos of them. Hehehe

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-06-26, 00:49

PokeSephiroth wrote:Well......... I turned em loose, and POOF, they vanished. I didn't even get a chance to take a picture of them! I even had my phone ready in my hand to take photos. But NOPE. =P Maybe in the off chance that I see them in the future, I'll be able to take photos of them. Hehehe

LOL! They'll get hungry and have to come out sometime  Suspect
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  killacam88 on 2014-07-09, 01:29

i had one for 5 years and it turned black and got about 7inchs it was a freak of nature cuz i dont think there supposed to do that.. amazing catfish tho when he felt threatened he would make a popping almost bone on bone crack/pop sound it would scare the ish out of the other fish..
killacam88
killacam88
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-07-09, 04:23

I think yours was a Siamese bumblebee catfish, that explains why it got that big, but not why it changed colors as it aged. South American bumblebee catfish stay small, only reaching like 4"max.

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  killacam88 on 2014-07-09, 15:32

PokeSephiroth wrote:I think yours was a Siamese bumblebee catfish, that explains why it got that big, but not why it changed colors as it aged. South American bumblebee catfish stay small, only reaching like 4"max.

Hmmm... thats interesting.. yea i got him from petsmart for 5 bucks he was keep in a 55 gallon didnt know much but that he was called bumblebee cat. he must have been a off species from the actual cat that u say gets onlty 4".. it was a awsome fish
killacam88
killacam88
Fry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-07-18, 01:08

Got two of these cool cats today. Pretty awesome guys to look at. But what tank mates are good for them?

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-07-18, 03:43

I'm keeping mine in a tank full of neon tetras... Because they have such big mouths, I made sure that I was willing to thin the herd a bit, IF they manage to catch any neon tetras. Hahaha

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-07-18, 11:30

Mine seem to be too lazy to eat anything moving lol I keep mine with Glowlight, Danio, black neons, skirt tetra, and angels. No problems with them eating any of them.
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-07-18, 12:01

You guys were right. All they do is hide. Hahha. I still like em though. Sometimes I will see a tail sticking out somewhere. But that's pretty much it. Hahahahaha. I kinda wish I put them in a smaller tank :-P. I ended up getting 3 more of them hoping that, that would make them come out more. NOPE! They all just hide! Even at night! Lol!!

I can't even entice them with live black worms. But they go CRAZY over frozen bloodworms. Weird. Although, I spose I'd rather have them eating frozen bloodworms than live black worms. :-P

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-07-18, 12:57

Lol sounds like my 2. I haven't tried black worms but they occasionally come out for pellets when they are hungry which doesn't seem often. Although if your that lazy you don't need to eat much lol
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-07-18, 16:34

Mine makes path ways through star grass. So when it's hungry enough as I am feeding the bunch it'll poke it's head out, grab some worms then scoot back into the grass and pop out in another place. Then like you sometimes I am searching all over wondering if it's dead, lol!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter on 2014-07-20, 16:31

fishNAbowl wrote:Totally dig this cat. Nocturnal and shy in my 140. But totally serves an important function. This cat never leaves the tanks floor so I think your tetras should be fine unless they hover just above the substrate.  Mine hugs the plant line during feeding time. He loops around the plants lookin for scraps. I play "where's Waldo" with this elusive fish.

Don't forget to share pictures Poke.  Smile

Looks familiar!  lol! 

I could have sworn he was dead at least once a month. The only indication that I would see him would be a quick spray of sand every so often as he would make his burrows. Pretty cool little guys though, and they do look great.
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-07-20, 19:38

^  Laughing for the life of me I can not remember what you and your wife named him.
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bronzefighter on 2014-07-20, 19:55

fishNAbowl wrote:^  Laughing for the life of me I can not remember what you and your wife named him.

Old Man Jenkins, cause he was a grumpy old dude who just sat around and chased off anyone who poked around his burrows  Laughing 
bronzefighter
bronzefighter

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-08-08, 00:46

So, after about 2 months since I introduced these guys into my 55 gallon tank, I find one of them, and they've GROWN! This guy is like 3 inches now, I surely hope it doesn't get any bigger hahaha!! Smile He's quite the fatty!  I love you

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-08, 00:57

I have one about 4" and both have huge stomachs all the time. Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-08-08, 00:58

fishNAbowl was right, it's like playing "Where's Waldo" everytime I'm looking in my tank. I usually only find 2 at a time, but I KNOW for a fact that there are more than just the two. Hahaha!!

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-08, 01:04

Lol I can always find mine because they stay in the same spots Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-08-08, 01:08

I wish mine stayed in the same spots! =P

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-08-08, 01:10

Lol. I don't know if my two SA bumblebee cats are still alive. Can't find the buggers. Well there goes $10 for both.

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-08-08, 01:41

Yeah, I almost gave up on mine... They go crazy for frozen bloodworms, but almost pretty much ignore live black worms, which... I find odd. I mean, you'd think that they would prefer the live stuff over the frozen lol.

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-08-08, 02:02

I'll try it then. Frozen blood worms tomorrow.  If still MIA presume dead. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-08-08, 02:16

Don't give up hope just yet. They're really good hiders, lol... one of these days, you'll find them when you least expect it. Hahaha... I find that they are also nocturnal, so having dimmed lights really helps too!

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-08, 09:50

PokeSephiroth wrote:Don't give up hope just yet. They're really good hiders, lol... one of these days, you'll find them when you least expect it. Hahaha... I find that they are also nocturnal, so having dimmed lights really helps too!

Plus One 
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-08-08, 12:35

Well saw the biggest one of the 2 but the runt is MIA for now till I find bugger.

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-08-08, 12:36

At least one of em isn't dead. :-)

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-08, 14:08

I'm betting it's in there somewhere Smile
ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fishNAbowl on 2014-08-08, 16:00

I haven't seem mine in a month, lol!
fishNAbowl
fishNAbowl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PokeSephiroth on 2014-08-08, 16:09

fishNAbowl: I bet it's that time again... time to play Where's Waldo... or should we say "Where's South American Bumblebee Catfish?" Hahahah

I swear, that should be a book.

PokeSephiroth
PokeSephiroth
Deputy Derp

Back to top Go down

Post  ShortyKiloGyrl on 2014-08-22, 11:00

I rearranged the scape and took out some stuff making room for larger fish in the tank and now I can see my cats!!

ShortyKiloGyrl
ShortyKiloGyrl
Lifetime Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum